Sam Harrelson is head of the Harrelson Agency, based in Columbia, SC. With a wide academic background including studies in Ancient Near Eastern Archaeology, String Theory and Divinity School, Sam views the online marketing world through a wide lens and focuses on the industry’s ability to reach individuals, form communities and create social drivers for effective merchant conversions.
Sam has managed affiliate programs of all sizes and levels of implementation companies large and small such as eBay, AllAmericanDish, Netflix, Logostick and Spiritual Cinema Circle.
Primarily, Sam subscribes to the “Job to Be Done” philosophy of marketing. Simply put, people don’t buy a product or service from a website in a vacuum and are “hiring” that retail experience to perform a certain job for them. When applied to affiliate marketing, this is particularly valuable. Sam has spoken on this concept at a number of industry conferences such as Affiliate Summit, AdTech, BlogWorldExpo, SES and Web2.0 Expo (videos below).
Instead of “consumers,” Sam sees individuals as producers of content via personal curation and investigates how developing technologies and applications furthers the ability of people to participate in marketing efforts by having them become part of a merchant’s sales chain.
Sam has a decade of experience in the affiliate and performance marketing industry with time spent as a publisher, email marketer, website owner, Director of Business Development, Senior Vice President, Chief Operating Officer and advertiser along with previously publishing the Digital Moses Confidential, ReveNews and CostPerNews.
- Wofford College
- University of South Carolina
- Gardner-Webb University
- Yale University
- General Manager, North America – Clicks2Customers
- CEO – PlanetBeta
- Senior Vice President / COO – PrimeQ
- Director of Publisher Relations – Motive Interactive
- Publisher – Thinking.FM
- Publisher – CostPerNews
- Publisher – ReveNews
- Editor and Lead Writer – Digital Moses Confidential
- Affiliate Manager – Rextopia Network
- Affiliate Manager – Think Partnership / Kowabunga
- Affiliate Manager – Aluria Software
- Advertising Manager – SubscriberBASE / AdDrive Network
- Member – CJ Board of Publishers
- Member – Affiliate Summit Advisory Board
- Adjunct Professor – Gardner-Webb University
- Adjunct Professor – University of South Carolina