The Cincinnati-based auction house Cowan’s has returned a hand carved wooden statue of the Zuni War God Ahayu:da to the Zuni Pueblo of New Mexico. The sacred 15-inch figure was removed years ago from a holy shrine before turning up in an Ohio estate and eventually being consigned to Cowan’s. The firm’s director of Native American, prehistoric and tribal art, Danica Farnand, recognised the figure as the Zuni War God and promptly initiated the repatriation process, which was completed in late August.
“Art is how we express, how we feel our anxieties,” said Sally Tallant, the president and executive director of the Queens Museum. “It’s how we can touch on things that are difficult to touch in other ways. You can go to any museum and see thousands of artists trying to process grief. And [after the pandemic] we’re going to feel a collective grief. Art does so much good to people’s mental health.”
An 1,800-year-old Lydian era atonement inscription was returned early Wednesday to Turkey, where it was smuggled 23 years ago and later found in Italy.
News from long term litigation involving a private collection in Italy and the Turkish government.
We'll get back to Genesis, but here's a test recording I did when we were reading through Jonah for Thinking Religion. Here are some quick thoughts on Jonah's final encounter with God after Nineveh proves to be a little more receptive than first thought…
Text available here: http://bible.oremus.org/?ql=176000971
Another creation story, how we get from Adam to Noah, and Sumerian King List (with a little Dylan)
Today, we go over salmon recipes, Documentary Hypothesis, J's and G's in German, our new farming unit at homeschool with the 4 year old, and the tragic story of Cain and Abel and the Mark of Cain. Where did Cain's wife come from?? Listen and let's find out.
- Sam Harrelson (@sambharrelson) • Gen 4:1-16
- oremus Bible Browser : Genesis 4:1-16
- Documentary hypothesis
- Julius Wellhausen – Wikipedia
- Pan Seared Salmon – Kent Rollins
- Eric Vanden Eykel on Twitter: “If you actually read Genesis 3, the “hierarchy of the home” is a **consequence** of what the <checks notes> snake convinces the people to do. It’s not “God’s good design.” God’s good design is equality. Do better. Putz.” / Twitter
Q&A and follow up from Gen 3:20-24 post
- Sam Harrelson on Instagram: “Today in Thinking About The Bible After Midnight: Genesis 3:20-24… East of Eden. James Dean. For us late Gen X’ers (Xennials?), James…” — Genesis 3:20-24 Reflection on Instagram
- Eden sanctuary – creation.com — Do not approve…
- Pre-Adamite – Wikipedia
- Who Was the Wife of Cain? – Biblical Archaeology Society — BAR is always a “fun” read.