Sam Harrelson works with institutions, organizations, museums & galleries, private collections, businesses, and individuals in the areas of art consulting (acquisitions, research, provenance detection) and helping identify the historical relevance and potential custody issues.
His main emphasis is on Mesopotamian and Near Eastern Art (Assyrian, Akkadian, Sumerian, Babylonian, Elamite, Sassanian, Parthian, and Syro-Phoenician) but he also works on certain projects with ancient Mediterranean cultures when there is an appropriate fit. Typically these consultations deal with tablets, cylinder seals, frescoes, and tile but also extend to objects including papyrus and figurines as well. Repatriation research and discovery is a major part of this work including provenance and historical custody issues.
Mr. Harrelson does work on Old and Middle Kingdom Egyptian and Nile-related artwork as well and can refer out to talented experts in that field when needed. This is especially true with art repatriation to Egyptian sources.
He also consults on early Medieval and more modern (and post-modern) art when there is a suitable need. Although rarer, these types of services are typically based on an individual’s private collection and include more personal variables.
To inquire about Sam Harrelson’s services, please find my contact information here. He am available for in-person meetings as well as video calls.
He does keep a limited number of client projects available, but am happy to find an appropriate schedule in the future depending on the scope of the client need.
Art Consulting Services Mr. Harrelson Offers:
- Art history consulting including research and buyer arrangements
- Art repatriation research, legal services, and agreements
- Research for repatriation services
- Strategic consulting for individuals and institutions regarding specific art-historical objects
- Near East and Mesopotamian art consulting
- Ancient Mediterranean art consulting
- Auction and buyer/seller research, agreements, and consulting
- Institutional research and reports on objects including provenance and custody analysis
- Provenance research for art historical objects in public and private collections
Art Consulting and Repatriation Services We (Typically) Don’t Offer:
- SEO for art history objects: Unless there are specific goals, a budget, and expectations, we don’t offer this as a standalone service
- Social Media Marketing
- Off-market art object acquisition and relationships