Content scrapers are horrible.
For example, here (love the AdSense check… you stay classy!) and here (you are a Tara Hunt fan as well?) are two sites that make use of the content on CostPerNews for their own profit. I’ve contacted both of those sites, along with about a dozen others, who are simply scraping the content here for their own AdSense dollars.
I’ve had no success in getting a response from them, so I’m formally posting a usage policy here in order that I may proceed with legal actions against these sites. So, if you read this and you’re scraping the content without attribution or for profit from CostPerNews… stop. I’ve contacted my attorney over the issue and he’s advised me to display the “Content Usage Policy” and Creative Commons license which CostPerNews has operated under since day one in order that we may move legal action ahead.
So, here is the entirety of the “Content Usage Policy” page now displayed over in the sidebar and an explanation of the Creative Commons license which CostPerNews operates under…
I wholeheartedly hope that you find the content here thought-provoking enough to write about it on your own blog, website, forum or email conversation.
You are free to take the content here and mash it up, play with it, fold it 7 times and use as you see fit. However, if you do that, please give proper attribution. And please please please do not use the content provided here for your profit.
This blog is my lively hood and I simply cannot allow others to scrape content without any sort of attribution for their own profit.
If you do pull the content from the full feed I provide or from the site itself and put it on your own site, blog or forum for profit or without attribution, I will exercise my legal rights as the original content provider to stop you (see the Digital Millenium Copyright Act). Not only is it not fair to me, it’s not fair to my readers here or to users on the web searching for quality content.
You are free:
- to Share — to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work
- to Remix — to make derivative works
Under the following conditions:
- Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor.
- Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
- Share Alike. If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under a license identical to this one.
- For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work.
- Any of these conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
See here for the full permissible uses of content from CostPerNews.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email me or call me (+1 803-413-6834)